IMPROVEMENTS TO BEAMDES IN THE “NZS3101 Amendment 2 VERSION”, NOW AVAILABLE.
The BeamDes and Basic BeamDes programs, incorporating Amendments 1 and 2 of NZS 3101, are now available. There are many improvements to both programs that should help the user. They are as follows:
- The output now includes a one page summary of output that includes only the output necessary in practical design. Both full and summary output versions are available.
- The Set Up page, where graphical selections are made for the whole beam envelope, has an improved and less congested layout that should make it more user friendly. The flashing Orange-Blue instructions guide the user through every step. Section shape and steel position in the beam are still selected graphically.
- Positive moment, uni-directional hinge analysis for yielding in the span, and with full capacity design from both hinges, was always the most difficult task performed in BeamDes. This is because there is usually at least two yield positions in the span. Moments must be transferred from the span yield box at 5 to positions 4 & 6 for analysis and this confused some users. They became confused as to where the yielding was occurring. The moments are transferred by simply double clicking boxes at 4 & 6. Now, as this is done, the moment and shear boxes now move over to the yield position making it clear where the moment and yield occur. It is a visually clearer representation of what is happening. When the boxes are clicked again to bring back the column face moments the boxes move back to the column face.
- Changes and small improvements are made throughout the program. Included in these is the addition of a box on the Set Up page for the uniform gravity load on the beam. This was required for span-yield, moment and shear analysis and was always there behind the scenes. The value is now given as loaded from the Plotter or selected by the user. The box gives opportunity for the user to change or vary it at will. Improvements are also made to the Output and the accuracy of the program has been re-checked. Over-strength moments were always slightly high but they are now accurate.
- The Help Files are updated and improved.
- Basic BeamDes.
- Moments combined and prepared in the Plotter, can now be directly down loaded into Basic BeamDes. The whole envelope for moments and shears, in all 6 positions that the program designs, are stored in the program and are automatically loaded into the input boxes as the various design positions are selected in the Position of Bar selection box. Despite this facility it must be emphasized that Basic BeamDes is still just a section designer. Although it fully integrates with full BeamDes and files produced can be read in both, the capacity design of the whole beam still requires full Beamdes.
- Uni-directional span yielding hinges can now be designed in Basic BeamDes. Instructions are in the help file for doing this. Files for section moments and shears produced and saved with a given Beam Number in Basic BeamDes can be loaded at any position into full BeamDes and if the Update file function is used, a full capacity design is done using these files.
The BeamDes program is in fact a trio of programs (BeamDes, Basic BeamDes, and Plotter) which can be worked separately or together.
The full BeamDes program and the Basic BeamDes program are designed to stand alone but will load and save each other’s files. The Plotter is designed to be called in by the other two and is used to prepare moments and shears for analysis by BeamDes or Basic BeamDes. Work would normally begin in the Plotter and the BeamDes program has a Load From Plotter function to transfer the Plotter output into its moment envelope.
BeamDes does the full capacity design of an RC beam from the design moments and shears given. It also does Fire, Durability, Torsion and Serviceability design. All dimensional data and material data must be given. The Basic BeamDes program is a simplified version acting as a simple section designer whereas BeamDes looks at the whole moment envelope.
All three programs are in the one install program given here. Simply download the Installer and run it, answering the prompts as they arise.